Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 7 - Zucchini Parmesan


I'm up to my eyeballs in zucchini. Well, not really, but all the same, I do have a lot. And I thought I would get rid of it all with this great Zucchini Parmesan recipe I can up with (inspiration from here), but, alas...it's not to be.

But I did use two of them up. Which is nice. Of course, I still have leftovers of both the Zucchini Parmesan and the zucchini. But that's ok, because I have book club tonight and very little time to be creative. So it's leftovers for dinner.

Zucchini Parmesan
  • 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced longwise
  • 12 oz spaghetti
  • 1 cup Italian-seasoned Bread Crumbs
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or egg replacer)
  • 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 cup six cheese Italian Cheese mix
  • 16 oz jar marinara sauce (**or you can punt, like I did)
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti al dente according to package directions.
  2. Place 1/4 marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. Place cooked and drained spaghetti in baking pan. Top with an additional 1/4 of the sauce.
  3. Place almond milk in a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Mix Parmesan cheese with bread crumbs.
  4. Dip zucchini slices in almond milk and then dredge both sides in Parmesan bread crumb mixture. Place on top of spaghetti in baking pan. You will probably have to overlap the zucchini pieces. Continue until you run out of room (or you use all the slices *Ü*).
  5. Spread remaining marinara sauce over zucchini. Sprinkle Italian cheeses over the top. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until zucchini is cooked through.
*Based on eggplant parmesan experience, I believe this will freeze well. I did not make enough to freeze here because I didn't have enough ingredients to make two.

Apparently I forgot to take a picture of the final product. But trust me
when I say...it looked
GOOD.

**In a pinch Punt Marinara: Here's what I did: I had no sauce in the pantry (I used the last of it on the gnocchi), but I did have a 15 oz can of Italian diced tomatoes, a 6 oz can of tomato paste, and a pkg of Laurie's Kitchen Puttanesca Sauce Mix that I bought from my Boy Scout son during one of his fundraisers. The directions on the sauce call for mixing the sauce mix with a 28 oz can of tomatoes. Instead I mixed together the sauce mix, the tomatoes, the can of tomato paste and two tomato paste cans of water. I am pretty sure the "very expensive but I bought it because my son was selling it" sauce mix is really just a good italian seasoning mix with some kind of thickener (like cornstarch), so if you don't have the sauce mix (and if you don't, call me and I'll send my son over to sell you some) you should be able to use italian seasoning and cornstarch.

No comments:

Post a Comment