Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 4 - Stuffed Mushrooms


On Sunday we went shopping and came home with some great stuff--fresh blueberries (which have been awesome in my cereal with almond milk) and grapes.

And I still have mushrooms in the fridge because I haven't gotten to them. I sauteed my spinach in hopes that it would end up in my (non-existent) pierogies, but it just got put in the fridge when I gave up on them.

So, I had some beautiful large mushroom caps and sauteed spinach. And a hankering for something meaty...

Stuffed Mushroom Caps with Sauteed Spinach
  • 15 large mushroom caps
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 bag of baby spinach (mine came from the farm, so I am guess that it was 12-14 oz), sauteed
  • 2 small onions (shallot size), chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic, pressed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese (optional)
  • 1/8 cup bread crumbs
  1. Preheat oven to 425°. Remove stems from mushroom caps. Place caps gill side down on foil line baking sheet. Roast in oven until juices start to release from mushroom caps, about 20 minutes.
  2. While mushrooms are roasting, chop mushroom stems and cook over medium heat in olive oil til juices release. Add chopped onions and garlic. When onions are translucent, add sauteed spinach and heat. Remove from heat and add bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese (if using).
  3. Remove mushroom caps from oven and turn over. If you have an excess of moisture from mushrooms, you can add it to your stuffing mixture. Using a tablespoon, distribute stuffing mixture evenly between mushroom caps.
  4. Bake in oven an additional 10 minutes. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment