Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1 - Black Bean Enchiladas

Of course it is the New Year, and things are fresh and exciting! Hopefully things will stay that way throughout the year. :)

I haven't decided what I am making for dinner yet, but I am sure it will have spinach and mushrooms as I have both of those items in the fridge. The spinach was grown locally at our local high school farm. This is near and dear to my heart, and something I am happy to support.

So as I plug in my ingredients to Google, I will leave you with a favorite vegetarian recipe of mine--Black Bean Enchiladas. I made two meals of this earlier this week and stuck one in the freezer. Yum!

Black Bean Enchiladas

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup frozen sweet corn
3/4 cup chunky salsa
1 can (15 oz) black beans
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 (10-oz) can enchilada sauce (I prefer green, but red is fine, too!)

Spray 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cumin; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in corn, salsa, beans, and 1 cup of the cheese. Remove from heat.

On microwaveable plate, stack tortillas and cover with paper towel. Microwave on high 1 minute to soften. Place 1/4 cup bean mixture along center of each tortilla. Roll up tightly and place seam side down in baking dish; spoon remaining bean mixture on top. Pour enchilada sauce over enchiladas, spreading to coat all tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese.

To cook and serve now--Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly around edges. Garnish with toppings of your choice (olives, avocado, tomato).

To freeze and serve later--Freeze now. Do not thaw and then cook. Cover with foil and freeze. Bake from frozen in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly around edges, 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

So, this is the closest I could find to a picture of black
bean enchiladas. But it isn't mine. And these aren't even
corn tortillas. But it looks good, and that's what counts,
right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment