Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 10 - Veggie Burgers Stroganoff



Let me preface this by saying that out of the two MorningStar products I've tried, I've been less than impressed. I've actually had Garden Burgers, and they aren't too bad, but my local grocery doesn't sell them. I had to punt with MorningStar. I bought the prime grillers which were ok, if you weren't expecting any meaty taste at all.

Unfortunately, I was.

That said, this wasn't bad. I would prefer a mushroom stroganoff, and I am betting that sometime during the year I will create something to that effect. In the meantime, here is the recipe I adapted:

Veggie Burgers Stroganoff
  • 1 (10 oz or so) package of egg noodles
  • 1 (9-12 oz) package of vegetable burger patties
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 3 cups sliced mushrooms
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp ketchup
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp dill
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

  1. Cook egg noodles as directed on package. Drain.
  2. In a large skillet, cook burgers as directed on package. Remove from skillet. Cut in half, then cut into strips.
  3. In same skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until mushrooms and onions are crisp-tender. Remove from heat.Stir in burger pieces.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of the milk, flour, lemon juice, ketchup, salt, and dill. Stir in remaining milk. Stir this into the mushroom mixture in skillet. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. 
  5. Reduce heat to low. Stir in sour cream and cook until heated through. Be careful not to boil.
  6. Serve over hot cooked noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment