Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 40 - Super (Bowl) Veggie Chili

You will never be able to tell the difference! This recipe is a mix between this recipe at All Recipes and this recipe by Rachael Ray. The goal was to come up with a perfect chili that NO ONE would realize was vegetarian. I think the key to that are the veggie crumbles, which, unfortunately, are not a staple at my local grocery store (did I mention that I live in a really small town?). But I had one package in the freezer that I picked up on my last trip to Vegas. And when I went to the local grocery, I discovered some more in the freezer case.

Whitney's Super (Bowl) Veggie Chili
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 tbsp ground cumin
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
  • 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles, or whole green chiles, diced
  • 2 (12 oz) pkgs vegetarian burger crumbles
  • 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tbsp ground black pepper
  • 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
  1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, cook until translucent. Mix in celery, and peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian crumbles. Cover the pot, and simmer for 5 minutes.
  2. Mix the tomatoes in the pot. Add chili powder and pepper. Stir in drained beans. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
Sorry, no picture. Everyone was too involved in the game and the chili was gone before I could take a pic. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment