Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 33 - Italian Chickpea Pasta


I have so much food from last week because all the recipes I made were huge (I am so used to doubling recipes!). I didn't really make a plan for this week's dinners--I've just been using what's in the fridge. Today Steven requested pasta. Well, actually spaghetti, but I'm out of spaghetti noodles. I've always made my own pasta sauce, but in the past it has had ground meat in it. This time I threw a bunch of whatever was in the fridge and came out with this--which was really tasty.


Italian Chickpea Pasta
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 small shallots, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, pressed
  • 1 lb sliced or chopped assorted mushrooms
  • 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 (15 oz) cans Italian diced tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
  • most of a 10 oz bag of spinach
  • 1 (16 oz) pkg penne pasta
  1. Cook pasta according to directions on package.
  2. Heat olive oil in medium pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic; cook until translucent. 
  3. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices.
  4. Add all tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and chickpeas. Cook until heated through. Add spinach; cook until wilted. Serve over penne pasta.
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment